Mom is a teacher at a San Diego-area high school. She has to participate in two "Open House" functions each year and she really doesn't like doing them. Today, Thursday, is the "spring" semester's function and she's not a happy human. So, in honor of Mom, I'm dedicating my Thursday Thirteen to ...
1. "Dog and Pony" show: I'm not sure what this means exactly, but if woofies are involved, it can't be THAT good.
2. Full work day PLUS six hours: It's bad enough that Mom goes to work at 7:25 AM and stays until around 5:00 PM on "normal" days. A fourteen or fifteen hour block at work is just too many hours of working.
3. Club Day: Mom's student organization sells root beer floats and slices of cheesecake in a pre-open house food court to make money. Mom has to get the supplies the day before, so she's away from us extra hours on Wednesday, too.
4. Parents who show up early! Mom says that this is self-explanatory. Early birds expect to be entertained ... Are they nuts??
5. Little kids who mess with stuff. Mom hates it when parents don't keep track of their kids during her presentation.
6. Extra Xerox copies that get wasted. Oh, those poor trees!
7. Bored parents who yawn. They're tired, but they could try not to LOOK so uninterested.
8. People who can't follow a schedule and attend presentations out of order.
9. Parents of the problem students NEVER attend.
10. Getting interrupted by bells or PA announcements during her presentation.
11. Misinterpretation of the function: Open House is for meet-n-greet, yet all they want to discuss are grades.
12. The "periods" are too long!
13. She prepares for days and only eight parents bother to show up. The time could be better spent cuddling ME.