It's almost over. On Tuesday, Mom will have to go back to work and start another school year.
It's this time of year when she REALLY wishes that she didn't work at a year-'round high school and still got the whole of July and August off like the traditional sites. Sigh.
On the last day of classes, her colleagues always ask her what she's gonna do and where she's gonna go during her time off.
She always tells them that she's not planning to go anywhere except home and that she's gonna SLEEP IN! Her big plan is always to get some sleep.
Mom tries to pack lots of stuff into her vacations from school: She becomes more of a "human doing" than a "human being". Sure, she doesn’t GO anywhere, but she does manage to have a life during her three-week breaks.
During school time, Mom often puts in twelve hour days. She only gets paid for seven and a half hours, so she really does work for free an awful lot ... Dumb Mom. There’s no such thing as “overtime” for teachers. Those extra hours are just part of life, so she has to save much of her own stuff for when she’s off on "vacation". Ask any teacher and s/he will tell you that they post-pone lots of regular “life” things ‘cuz school just takes too much work.
So, this week’s Thursday Thirteen is dedicated to ...
How Mom Spent Her “Summer” Vacation
1. Built a shed an’ then filled it with stuff
2. Went to the dentist for six-month check-up (no cavities!), colored hair, got haircut
3. Had car maintenance: $2,260 for new timing belt, new radiator, four new tires, and other necessary work
4. Watched “Ratatouille” and “Shrek the Third” ... and ordered tons of AMC discount tickets to give to fambly/friends
5. Celebrated Charmee’s and Sparky’s “gotchaversaries,” and the grandparents’ anniversary
6. Shopped for, packed, and mailed FIVE Secret Paws packages, two cousins’ packages, and one Tara Princess Meezer package ... plus packages to fambly
7. Shopped for, packed, and mailed one 500th Post Contest prize package to Junior Babee
8. Read some books from her Summer Reading List ... and waited patiently for Harry Potter #7
9. Painted squillions of squillions
10. Blogged with us so we could visit our furriends and leave comments
11. Bought stuff on eBay and left feedback ... Temptations® coupons!!!
12. Ate lunch at restaurants and MAYBE brought home something(s) for us
13. Played game after game: Cards with Grandma, “Marble Drop” on the internet, and BUBBLES (or catfish or Whirly-Bird or throw-the-Eeek!-and-then-go-fetch-it-yourself) with us
And she even had time to watch most of the stuff she’d taped on her DVR plus sleep in furry late efurry day!