Life is my litterbox ... Grab the SCOOP!

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Tuxie Toozday: Zoey Update

Furry good news ...

Mom's cousin emailed with this message:

"I took her into the vet this morning because she threw up every day this weekend and didn't really want to eat or drink. That was a really bad sign for her kidney problems. The good news was it wasn't her kidneys causing the problems. She has a little virus that's making her feel puny but it will run it's course in the next few days.

As a precaution, the vet did put her on amoxycillin for the next 7 days. She doesn't like it and tends to spit it out. The vet went ahead and did the kidney test today (although Zoey didn't really want to give up the blood for the test). The tests showed that her kidney levels dropped from 106 last Monday to 41 today (below 30 is what we want) and her creatine level dropped from above 4 to just under 4 (we need 2.4). All in all, the vet was very encouraged and said that it's possible that she may make a complete recovery. We will have to continue her IV treatment (in fact she'll get it everyday for the next couple of days) and the dreaded capsules, but that she should be in good shape soon.

The vet has recommended that we wait a few days before adopting a new kitten to give Zoey a chance to recover from her virus but that otherwise it should be okay to adopt.

For all the rest of you with pets, the vet has recommended to all her patients that they take their pets off all foods containing wheat gluten since the recall seems to be spreading."


Mom emailed back and said all of the "whoo hoos" for us ... plus, she recommended adopting TWO kittens instead of one 'cuz kittens can entertain each other and not be such a threat to an older cat as a single kitten can be what with the sharing of attention and all.

I wanna thank that cat blogosphere for being so incredibly supportive with the purrayers and good karmic thoughts. Zoey couldn't have rebounded without each and efurry one of you pulling for her. Thanks!
DMM

15 comments:

Unknown said...

We are so very glad that she is better, and thanks for letting us know what the Vet said...We agree, and Mom is looking through all the food we eat right now!

Parker said...

Great news about Zoey! It makes the 'nipover I am suffering from feel a little better!
Meeeeoooooow!

Tiki, Kirby, and StanLee said...

We are glad she is feeling better.

Jack, Persephone, Tenzing and Lancelot said...

Glad to hear Zoey's getting better!

I agree about the 'two kittens' One is good if the first cat LIKES playing, but an older cat with health problems would probably be better if two kittens could keep each other busy and out of her furs.

Jake and Bathsheba said...

We're very pleased that Zoey is doing so much better. Hooray!

~J&B

I sure hope they get to the bottom of this food issue soon. I like to eat!

~Jake

Daisy said...

Hooray for Zoey!!! I like good news.

Tara said...

I'm so glad Zoey is feeling better! She looks wonderful!

This food thing is awful. I love Fancy Feast, and a lot of it has wheat gluten. Mom is going to start buying varieties that don't have it. I hope I like them.

Tara
(thanks for the nice compliment...blush)

Rocky the Gutter Cat said...

Yay! That's vary good nooz!

Karen Jo said...

I am so happy that Zoey is feeling better. I hope that she does make a complete recovery. I work in a grocery store and I am trying to help people choose good food for their pets. I advise them to avoid all foods with wheat gluten. Two kittens sounds like a good idea.

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

I'm so glad to hear Zoey is recovering! Very good advice from the vet. Even though the food recall is only affecting pet food in North America, I'm very glad that none of the food I've ever eaten has wheat gluten in it.

Sending continued healing purrs out to Zoey.

Anonymous said...

This is great news that Zoey is doing better. I agree, waiting to bring those rascally kittens home is a good idea. Zoey needs to get better!

Great advice about the foods too. Mom is going to put her glasses on and read the labels now..

We love you kitties loads
~Prinnie

Mr. Hendrix said...

This is the BEST news! We're so glad to hear Zoey will be OK. Great, fantastic, wonderful news!

Oscar the Puppy Cat said...

I meant to comment yesterday but did not get far on my favorite list. I'm so happy to hear that Zoey is doing so well! My Mommy will take the VETS advice and read the ingredients in my food before buying.

Anonymous said...

this is furry good news - we'll still be sending lotsa get well purrs!

The Furry Kids said...

Thank you for the update, DMM. We are so very happy to hear that Zoey is feeling better.
Love,
Titus, Tazo, & Earl Grey