In honor of Mother’s Day (it’s actually Mother’s Day TODAY in our neighborhood three miles north of the Mexican border), I’m dedicating this Thursday Thirteen to Mom!
1. She’s 5’11” tall which I’m told is pretty tall for a girl. When people ask her if she plays basketball, she asks them if they play miniature golf. She got her degree in sarcasm when she got her Master’s in Counseling Psychology back in ‘93.
2. She was born on Jimi Hendrix’s birthday in 1967, so she’ll be forty this year.
3. Up until age seven, she wanted to be an astronaut ... But then she had to get glasses and her hopes were dashed: No 20-20 vision? No space program!
4. She took tap dancing lessons for eleven years when she was young. She’s still pretty good and sometimes “tappity-taps” in the kitchen in her tap shoes.
5. As a student teacher back in 1990-91, she was chosen “Best All-Around” by the senior class which really put some veteran teachers’ panties in twists.
6. She loves Chlöe perfume and has owned at least one bottle every year since the mid-1980s. It’s her signature fragrance and I like to walk in her wake when she’s just put it on ... It makes my fur smell like her.
7. In a high school class of 425 students, Mom ranked 22nd and graduated with California Scholarship Federation honors (NOW she sponsors the CSF club where she works and has done so for thirteen years).
8. Her favorite candy bar is Milky Way Midnight Dark (but she likes ANY kind of dark chocolate).
9. She likes woofies (not as much as KITTIES, though) and her favorite breeds are the Boston terrier and the French bulldog (‘cuz she’ll never have a Cock-a-poo as wonderful as Peaches ... sniff!). I think that she likes Bostons ‘cuz they’re black-n-white like TUXIES!
10. Mom drives a five-speed stickshift black masheen. Valet parking guys always comment on how “girls don’t usually drive stickshifts” to which Mom replies, “The talented ones do ...”.
11. Mom has a photographic memory which came in really handy in college, but even more so today when her students claim that they can’t find the answer ... “Look halfway down the seventh page in the chapter beneath the map of ... “. They don’t get away with much!
12. She’s selectively lactose intolerant, but severely allergic to alcohol products including cough syrup ... Her throat swells closed and she cannot breathe/swallow.
13. Her favorite movie is “An American President” ... the precursor to one of her all-time favorite television series: “The West Wing.” Her favorite episode? “Excelsis Dei” ... She bawls through the last ten minutes.